Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Illamasqua Katie Blush

As promised, here is my first (of many) Illamasqua posts. If you haven't heard of this make-up brand, I strongly recommend taking a look at their website. They are definitely for the brave, I've been caught wearing their Discliple lipstick (a matte navy blue) in public and received many a awkward stare. This is truly a brand you have to be confident in wearing and one you have to like venturing into a more adventures style. Despite this, they do cater for more natural looks, such as this product..

This is a blush called Katie.



Read more for my thoughts and more swatches!






First and foremost, I will comment on the packaging as I've found a lot of bloggers have mentioned their dislike for it. It is rather thick and clunky, which I don't particularly like, and the inverted square shape makes it hard to store around my usual square shaped blushes. However, the packaging is unique and sophisticated, two things Illamasqua truly strive for in their creative direction. With the pointed edges, it just feels like I am most certainly using one of their products. I really like how this brand has an identification with their products that is so recognisable. 



It's a delicate colour, definitely suited for those with a lighter skin tone, as it would appear ashy on more tanner, darker skin. When I see this colour and apply it, the word 'porcelain' comes to mind. The colour is very light, and quite innocent looking, similar to a porcelain doll. And its just SO pigmented. I could not even believe. I have a small obsession with NARS blushes and this completely throws them out of the water in every case. Pigmentation, Texture, Formula (They are a vegan brand), Colours.. everything.

Something I don't like about this blush, is the fact with one swipe, there is powder everywhere. It is so difficult to apply this with a stippling brush as it will gather a world of powder on it. I recommend a dense powder brush, and even then, lightly tap it on the pan. There is definitely no need for vigorous circling to gather colour from this product!

Katie is what I believe to be one of their natural shades, another one I can recommend is Ambition, which is a shimmery neatural shade. Illamasqua stock purples, magentas, pinks, peach, oranges and even reds. Mostly in matte shades, and they also have an extensive list of cream blushes as well. 

If you have any recommendations as to what your favourite products are or products you'd like to see me review, please let me know! I will be visiting Sydney next week and I hope to stock up on some more products while I'm there too :)

2 comments:

  1. This was my first Illamasqua product, it is such a pretty colour. I would recommend the cream blushes and the Skin Base Foundation. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's beautiful :') ahh thank you! i'll definitely check em out! any colours in particular?

    ReplyDelete